Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

Just when things seem to be going Real Smooth, and you're feeling pretty good about it, and you're even ready to brag about it, Life It's Ownself will smack you right in the face with a cold fish.

Last Saturday, Meelie, at 9 our youngest, came down with a stomach bug and was going at both ends, poor baby. Mrs. OWW did the majority of care ("I love you Daddy, but I want MOMMY!"), so of course guess who gets the bug?

Meelie recovers within 24 hours, and is bouncing off the walls like her normal self, and Mrs. OWW is flat on her back when she's not in the facilities and is thoroughly miserable. By Monday the worst is over for her, but she's still feeling very shaky and being Real Cautious about what food she eats.

On Tuesday morning, I'm commenting at work that I haven't taken a sick day for myself in two years, and I'm on a roll, right? By Tuesday evening, about 6 PM, guess who's making an intimate acquaintance with the Porcelain God?

By Wednesday morning, the worst was over, and I was able to go to work, and sorta function without it being obvious that I had a severe death wish - I just wanted to curl up in a corner and die quietly. As soon as I got home I crawled into be and slept like the dead until 4 AM Thursday...

Which was Thanksgiving Day.

Several weeks ago, our neighbors Sharon and Charley, and Lisa and Eric, and a few others decided to do a group Thanksgiving dinner at Sharon and Charley's place (Charley added on an enormous rec room when the house was being built). There were 15 (plus 5 younger children) and tremendous quantities of turkey and all the trimmings, and all of it delicious. I wasn't able to be my usual gluttonous self, but as I said, it was delicious.

No comments: