Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Today is the day we honor our dead.

From the Revolutionary War, through the Civil War, the Mexican-American War, the Spanish-American War, the First World War, and the Second. Korea. Viet Nam. The Gulf War. Afghanistan. Iraq. And let us not forget all the crappy little places in between.

This is the first year that I don't honor my Dad on Veteran's Day.

Today is the first year that I do honor Dad on Memorial Day.

US Army (Infantry), 1941-1946. ETO, 1942-1946.

Purple Heart. "I zigged when I shoulda zagged." "Gee, Ma, I forgot to duck."

Firm opinions on many subjects, most touching on personal behavior.

"The Golden Rule is the best rule of all. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Of course, if the others are evil ones, and have taken a shot at you (and missed), don't hesitate - do unto them quickly and thoroughly. And do it twice."

"Tell the truth. It might hurt a little now, but the truth saves trouble later."

"Don't lie. Tell the truth in such a way that it will be thought a lie. Then look innocent, and for God's sake don't do an 'I told you so!' - just look confused!"

"Women are different. They are NOT meant to be understood. They are just... different."

There's many other lessons from the Old Man. Some time I'll put 'em out here.

In the meantime, here's the last one for today:

"Properly chilled beer is a Good Thing. Matched with a good steak, properly prepared, with corn and baked, you've got one of God's Good Meals."

Thanks Pop. We Love You.

No comments: