Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Historic Transfer of Power

Yes, it is a historic moment - a non-white man has become the freely elected President of the United States of America.

What's really "historic" about it?

This is the 43rd peaceful transfer of power.

No riots.

No civil war.

Just the rather boring political speeches and the Media going "Ooooo" and "Ahhhh".

Nice, dull, quiet, and boring - just the way I like it.

Just the way, the American Way, that it should be.

Of course, tomorrow will be a different story.

Those of us who did not vote for our current President will view with alarm, cavil over trifles, and rail against the injustice of it all.

Peacefully. Because that's the American Way.

To the non-American world - Barack Hussein Obama is MY president. I may not like his policies, I may view his initiatives with alarm, I may grumble at his sucesses and growl at his failures. But hear me, you "furriners" - he is MY president.

I am an American.

No comments: