Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An Indictment of Big News



At 4AM my eyes pop open, and I'm wide awake.

Crap. This really and truly sucks rocks.

Being the news junkie that I am, I cruise Yahoo News, ABC, CNN, and Fox. And buried, deep in Fox News, I find this little gem.



The 22 Arab nations (the Palestinian authority would make 23), gathered in a basement conference room hammering out their proposal, which still does not mention Hamas’ role in the fighting. It is similar to the one Libya floated on New Year’s Eve, which condemned “all acts of violence and terror against civilians,” (one would presume that could include Israelis as well as Palestinians) “as well as expressing grave concern about the widespread death and destruction among the Palestinian civilian population.” The draft also said it “strongly condemns the Israeli military attacks.”

It went nowhere, and an even weaker expression late Saturday night was not agreed on because of U.S. objection. American diplomats note the absence of holding Hamas responsible, and indeed the British ambassador said if there were to be a balanced resolution… that is, a resolution that includes criticism of and demands on Hamas as well as Israel, then such a declaration could pass muster.



This little snippet was buried deep within Fox news. I haven't seen anything like it at any other Big News organization.

The reluctance of Western diplomats and the press to publicly, and loudly, demand that Hamas cease and desist their attacks on civilians in Israel causes me a certain amount of heartburn.

Instead of tip-toeing around Hamas' delicate sensibilities whilst hammering Israel's "aggression", let's haul out the actions of both sides and look at them, dispassionately. Then, perhaps, a fair conclusion can be arrived at.

To be blunt about it, the major news organizations - AP, Reuters, ABC, CNN, CBS, NBC, et. al., have been falling all over themselves to NOT report fairly on both sides.

And that, my friends, is what really makes me angry.

In a later post, I will tell you exactly why I did not renew my subscription to the Florida Times-Union (Georgia edition), and what the T-U can do to regain my trust.

No comments: